The Telephone Exchange Building:
100 Years in the Making

A new exhibition at AMEICO celebrating the centennial of the Southern New England Telephone Exchange Building of New Milford.

Originally built by the Southern New England Telephone company (SNET) in 1917-18 to house the equipment and switchboards for the growing local telephone clientele of New Milford and the surrounding towns, the building at 29 Church Street is now home to AMEICO’s contemporary Design Store & Gallery.

To commemorate the centennial of this historic structure, restored for future generations to enjoy, AMEICO will host an exhibition of rare telephones belonging to local collectors Mark Berghold and Nancy A. Davis, the earliest examples of which would have been found in households when 29 Church Street was constructed. The exhibition will also provide an overview of the growing importance of the telephone in New Milford one hundred years ago.

AMEICO is a New Milford based company which specializes in importing and distributing modern and contemporary industrial design. Founded by Peter Kahane in 1995, it chose to purchase and restore 29 Church Street in 2012 to house its operations and display its product to the public.

Open M-F, 9 am – 5 pm; Sat, 11 am – 4 pm

Free

Ameico
29 Church Street
New Milford

www.ameico.com